std.fileformats?

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at kaleidic.io
Mon Jan 6 23:38:25 UTC 2020

On Monday, 6 January 2020 at 21:05:37 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Monday, 6 January 2020 at 19:40:10 UTC, berni44 wrote:
>> b) Should we instead remove some of these? Probably std.zip is
>> here the first candidate. (I put some work in it in the last
>> few weeks, but it would be fine for me throwing this away.)
>>
>> It's on a gut level - just wondering, what you think about
>> this.
>>
>> [1] https://code.dlang.org/packages/std-experimental-xml
>
> IMO all except base64 could be removed. Putting everything into
> the standard library made a lot of sense in the times before we
> got a package manager. Nowadays it might be better to simplify
> the standard library and just have XML, JSON, ZIP, CSV as
> "blessed" packages.

Dependencies will be our doom.  Whereas if you use something in
Phobos then you have some confidence it will still build across
platforms in a couple of years.

It also seems to make sense to work on making code.dlang.org
ultra-reliable before making it necessary to use libraries before
doing even basic things.