std.fileformats?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 02:13:35 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 at 01:45:21 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> H.S. Teoh also talks about arsd. This is also available on
> code.dlang.org (though not exactly built for it), but the
> mechanism of copying license compatible code into your project
> so you can maintain it doesn't depend on it being outside of
> code.dlang.org. You can do that with anything! D modules are
> pretty movable.

In theory yes, but in practice it can be very difficult because
of the size of the dependency graph.

You import foo which needs bar which needs baz which needs joe
and sally which need fred, tom, dick, and harry... it is very,
very easy to fall down that rabbit hole and package managers make
it look enticing.

Heck, even I am very, very tempted to introduce a few base
modules to my libs, especially now that I use dmd -i more so it
would be almost transparent. And I probably would have already if
I didn't type out my modules each time for so long.

So my policy isn't to package dependencies, it is to *eliminate*
them. So the individual files mostly stand alone. You can import
one without needing the others, not even from the same repo.