DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Jan 7 07:14:43 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 at 06:24:11 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Monday, 6 January 2020 at 23:59:28 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> Well all feedback I've received is that it fails at the rule
>> of least
>> surprise.
>
> The feedback is incomplete. I have disliked "unsafe" since C#
> and know a few people who do as well. One of C# creators even
> admitted publicly that "unsafe" was a misnomer.

The very first systems programming language that introduced the
concept of unsafe blocks was ESPOL, followed by NEWP for the
Burrougs B5500, in 1961.

Other idea that they introduced, at the OS level, was that any
binary containing unsafe code was tainted and required clearance
from the system admin to be executable.

8 years before C was even an idea.

Unsafe has a long tradition in safe systems programming
languages, and D is one of very few exceptions that has chosen
something else.