nothrow by default

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 12:51:32 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 9 January 2020 at 06:26:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I expect that exceptions will soon become a legacy feature.

I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever. Exceptions, like GC,
are a proven winner in the real world with the vast majority of
actually existing industry code using them successfully.

Reminder that exceptions were invented because error codes
*cannot* say the same thing.

There are some new techniques being tried out in some places to
varying levels of success. Those features are useful for other
purposes too, so I wouldn't mind D picking some of them up, like
I said in a previous message.

But even with those available, I expect that error handling mode
will remain relatively niche because of the enormous success
exceptions have and have had proven in industry.