Beeflang - open source performance-oriented compiled programming language

Rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Thu Jan 9 15:16:46 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 9 January 2020 at 11:59:42 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 January 2020 at 07:54:22 UTC, JN wrote:
>> There's some new programming language around, seems to be
>> targeting similar areas as D does, although it doesn't use GC
>> and seems to be targeted mostly towards game developers.
>>
>> https://www.beeflang.org/
>>
>> Announcement and discussion:
>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21991382
>
> It's look like a very competent language and it is just being
> released to the public.
>
> Things that I like is that it has manual memory management, no
> GC or stupid life times. However, leaking or double free can be
> detected. Good direction I think for memory management for what
> the language is intended for.
>
> It has mixins just like D.
>
> ... then the weird, it has a PREPROCESSOR that is even less
> capable than C. That's a very weird design decision.

Well, this sums up everything, including the preprocessing which
is exactly the same as C#:

" I wrote a C#-to-C++ transpiler and a VM wrapper with a
concurrent GC. This predated Unity's IL2CPP by about 6 months.

Compile times were a big issue, and the little edges of the
language and libraries were problematic since they were built
around a JIT. Then it struck me that I don't really care about
the JIT, and the reason I liked C# had nothing to do with the GC,
and it would be much better to just make a slight variation of C#
that was statically compiled and without a GC.

I just followed along all the obvious next steps from there, and
here we are 5 years later."