[OT] Idea to get all columns from multiple tables in DB

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jan 10 20:32:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-09 00:03, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> Yeah, this is generally the case when generating SQL from types. I like
> to write queries to make them the most efficient I can, without having
> to deal with quirks between ORM requirements and the data in the table
> (I'm dealing with an existing data layout, which does not lend itself
> always to ORM usage).

Sure, but you don't need an ORM to do what I suggested. Something like this:

connection.query("SELECT " ~ fieldsToSQL!User ~ " FROM user").byItem!User;

Where "fieldsToSQL!User" would expand to:

"user.first_name, user.last_name, user.age"

Or whatever naming convention you have in the table.

I'm sure you can come up with a better API.

--
/Jacob Carlborg