Vote: deprecate std.xml?

JN 666total at wp.pl
Sat Jan 11 17:11:03 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 11 January 2020 at 16:44:03 UTC, Ernesto Castellotti
wrote:
> I would be happy if std.xml were replaced with a new module, I
> propose this plan:
> 1) Create a new module for xml and put it in
> std.experimental.xml
> 2) Wait for user feedback
> 3) Deprecate std.xml and informing users that it will be
> replaced with std.experimental.xml
> 4) Replace std.xml with std.experimental.xml and put the old
> module on undeaD

The problem with this is that 1) is a very hard step to
accomplish. There is actually std.experimental.xml, but it's not
complete enough to merge into std. It's much easier to develop a
non-std XML parser, because you can support only part of
functionality (read or write XML) and you can ignore rarely used
features like entities.

As soon as you try to merge anything into std, new requirements
show up. The library needs to play well with ranges, most people
would want it to play nicely with @nogc, it would have to support
both reading and writing and should support most if not all XML
features.