Vote: deprecate std.xml?

berni44 dlang at d-ecke.de
Sat Jan 11 18:25:40 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 11 January 2020 at 17:16:00 UTC, Ernesto Castellotti
wrote:
> What you say is certainly true, but how a removal without a
> replacement can improve the STD?

In my oppinion there are several reasons:

a) Maintaining: Currently I've got the feeling, that we have
rather too few people who maintain Phobos (and even when I file
several bug fixes, I notice that there are also only limited
resources on the side of the reviewers...). The number of
bugreports has been increasing for years. Every package in the
library adds to the amount of maintainance needed. So it would be
wise to reduce the ballast.

b) Public perception: If the library contains problematic
modules, people might judge that the whole library and with it
the whole language is bad.

c) Eventually mobilizing powers: With the removal, the pressure
to get a replacement, might increase. The plan to replace it has
been there for 10 years now, as I can read, and it wasn't put
into effect. If an xml module is really needed, someone might
take this removal as a signal to improve one of the existing
replacements or write something better, which might eventally
make it into Phobos. And if this doesn't happen, it's probably
not needed enough.

Having said this, of course a replacement would be fine for me
too, but I don't see any yet nor in the near future.