Vote: deprecate std.xml?

Piotr Mitana piotr.mitana at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:39:04 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 11 January 2020 at 16:44:03 UTC, Ernesto Castellotti
wrote:
> I would be happy if std.xml were replaced with a new module, I
> propose this plan:
> 1) Create a new module for xml and put it in
> std.experimental.xml
> 2) Wait for user feedback
> 3) Deprecate std.xml and informing users that it will be
> replaced with std.experimental.xml
> 4) Replace std.xml with std.experimental.xml and put the old
> module on undeaD

I am for this option.

I believe that processing XML (as well as JSON etc.) is such a
universal task, that it is reasonable to be included in the
standard library. In the other case reinventing the wheel will
continue and bigger projects may end up having a few different
XML implementations in their dependency tree.

The other option could be to bring an existing library on
code.dlang.org to Phobos - reach to its author, adapt it to
Phobos' style and guidelines and make it the new std.xml. Has
such an option been considered?