Benchmarking mir.ndslice + lubeck against numpy and Julia

Pavel Shkadzko p.shkadzko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 17:07:12 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 14:26:55 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 13:34:40 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 11:51:20 UTC, Joseph Rushton
>> Wakeling wrote:
>> On 3, I didn't have time to look into the Julia results, but
>> someone above made the comment that Julia was optimizing away
>> the calculation itself. Dennis also had some interesting
>> points above.
>
> All you have to do is look at the timings. Julia calls into
> lapack to do these operations, just like everybody else. No
> amount of optimization will result in the timings reported for
> Julia - it would be a revolution unlike any ever seen in
> computing if they were accurate.

Indeed, my experience with Julia is zero and I don't know what
@btime is actually testing. Just copied it from howto benchmark
Julia code page. I would honestly test the time it takes the
actual script to run like "$ time julia demo.jl" because it does
take some time before it precompiles the code so you don't feel
those reported 0.1 seconds at all. And if you do data processing
and scripting, console responsiveness and processing speed is all
that matters to me at least.