Pay as you go is really going to make a difference

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jan 13 18:22:19 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 05:40:08PM +0000, Arine via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 11:54:19 UTC, user5678 wrote:
> > (https://hexus.net/tech/news/peripherals/113648-modern-computer-complexity-heavy-impact-keyboard-latency/)
> > and other stuff too.
>
> He's comparing two different technologies. If you want low input lag,
> get a TN panel gaming monitor with a high refresh rate. The thing is
> those cost $$$. All the while most of the devices he's testing are
> laptops. I'd love to a see a CRT display in a laptop. Read between the
> lines, that the author doesn't know what their doing.

You're totally missing the point.  The point is to take a step back at
the current state of things and evaluate just how much it (doesn't) make
sense:

1) Back in the 70's, we had 16 kHz CPUs and only up to 64KB of RAM.

2) Today we're in 2020, with multi-core CPUs running at speeds measured
in GHz, and RAM measured in GBs.

3) A word processor in the 70's runs horribly slowly with horrible lag
between input keystrokes.

4) Technologically speaking, today we have enough processing power to
run AAA games that process hundreds of thousands of objects per frame
running at 60 fps.  We're talking about things like *real-time
raytracing* here, something completely unimaginable in the 70's.

5) Yet a browser app of today, built with said modern technology with
modern processing power, still runs just as horribly slowly as a word
processor from the 70's running on ancient ultra-slow hardware, with
just as horrible a lag between input keystrokes.

Something isn't adding up.

Yes, all of this can be explained, and if you lose sight of the forest
for the trees, every step in the history of how this came about can be
logically explained. But when you step back and look at the forest as a
whole, the whole situation looks completely ridiculous.  The necessary
tech is all there to make things FAR more efficient. The development
methodologies are all there, and we have orders of magnitude more
manpower than in the 70's.  What a word processor has to compute is
peanuts compared to an AAA game with real-time raytracing running at 60
fps. Yet here we are, stuck with a completely insane web design
philosophy building horribly slow and unreliable apps that are barely a
step above an ancient word processor from the 70's.

The browser king wears no clothes, yet its proponents see invisible.

An elephant: A mouse built to government specifications. -- Robert Heinlein