DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Jan 13 18:38:37 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 17:33:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> I've also seen a lot of assertions that all documentation and
> tutorials (ALL) will be broken.

That was probably me. I don't recall ever saying all
documentation and tutorials will be broken, but it will certainly
cause problems for a lot of the material out in the wild, and
it's the kind of breakage that will make folks run away. It's not
just what's written in the documentation/tutorial either. You
change one thing in a working example and all of a sudden it no
longer compiles. Seriously, who changes to @safe by default in a
regular release?

Ultimately it's up to the DIP author to make the case that this
type of breakage won't happen. The author of this DIP did not do
that, and anyone else making such a proposal would have it shot
down immediately for exactly that reason.