DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 20:37:33 UTC 2020

On 1/2/20 4:47 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community Review for
> DIP 1028, "Make @safe the Default":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/1b705f8d4faa095d6d9e3a1b81d6cfa6d688554b/DIPs/DIP1028.md
>

> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should occur in
> this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on January 16, or
> when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the DIP
> will be scheduled for another round of Community Review. Otherwise, it
> will be queued for the Final Review and Formal Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to be
> familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> *Please stay on topic!*
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

How does the DIP affect interfaces and class virtual functions?
Especially interfaces without marking will be a potential problem as
there will be no errors on a @system interface stub which now is tagged
with @safe but has no implementation to complain about. But an
implementing class would fail to compile potentially (and might be in a
separate project). This is a fundamental API difference that's not easy
to account for. The DIP should address that process.

I noticed that even templated class member functions are currently
@system unless tagged @safe (for good reason). So there's going to be a
lot of code out there like this.

-Steve