DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Jan 13 21:43:24 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 20:32:32 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 1/13/20 1:38 PM, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 17:33:12 UTC, Steven
>> Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>>> I've also seen a lot of assertions that all documentation and
>>> tutorials (ALL) will be broken.
>>
>> That was probably me. I don't recall ever saying all
>> documentation and tutorials will be broken, but it will
>> certainly cause problems for a lot of the material out in the
>> wild, and it's the kind of breakage that will make folks run
>> away. It's not just what's written in the
>> documentation/tutorial either. You change one thing in a
>> working example and all of a sudden it no longer compiles.
>> Seriously, who changes to @safe by default in a regular
>> release?
>
> I feel this is a bit blown out of proportion.
>
> I see all the time on stackoverflow answers updated for e.g.
> newer versions of Swift. There's no reason to think the same
> thing wouldn't happen for D.
>
> But I also think it's going to be a very small part of the
> tutorials/docs that are incorrect. Looking at tour.dlang.org, I
> see the following pages that won't work with the DIP defaults:

If you only work with idiomatic D code, this DIP won't have much
of an impact. If you're like me, and almost everything you've
ever done with D has taken advantage of D's interoperability with
C (one of its big selling points), it's a serious PITA, and every
bit of documentation, tutorial, and blog post you've ever written
for others will break. All of a sudden you have to tell others to
litter their code with ugly @trusted or @system. All of this
because adding a -safe switch isn't sufficient for those that
want safe by default.