DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 14:51:07 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 at 10:21:21 UTC, MoonlightSentinel
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 at 06:12:35 UTC, Jesse Phillips
> wrote:
>> I agree and I think my request for a depreciation plan would
>> request that unspecified interface methods be deprecated.
>>
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/bojmstnsnfydfaggslzj@forum.dlang.org
>
> I don't think deprecating would be a good idea since it make
> more attributes mandatory which isn't helpful for quick scripts
> and disrupts existing builds using -de.
>
> Another approach could be to highlight problematic functions
> (which are really @system but not annotated as such). Hence I
> implemented -transition=safe to list these functions as a less
> intrusive message, see https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10715

For interfaces I could understand, the depreciation I suggested
for regular methods would mandate only needed attributes but it
also requires a different compiler logic. Your solution may
effectively be the same.

I think a depreciation is important to guide the transition and
shouldn't be done right away but as one of the release steps.
Those using de are looking to nudge themselves on the release
plan.