DIP 1029---Add throw as Function Attribute---Community Review Round 1

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Jan 14 17:01:42 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 at 16:32:51 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 at 15:58:31 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> I disagree. That's how your language turns into C++. The tough
>> part of language design is making decisions conditional on
>> what the language as a whole looks like, and what it's going
>> to be in ten years.
>
> I agree that one should think holistically when considering
> smaller changes.  But one should also be clear about what
> couplings really _need_ to exist, and which don't.
>
>> My opinion is that it's an ugly inconsistency to give only one
>> attribute an inverse.
>
> OK.  That's essentially an aesthetic concern, though:

Is it a big deal? Maybe not, but it's strange to say "You can
invert [random attribute] but no others." "Oh, why is that?"
"Because that's all that was in the DIP." It's just sloppy and
amateurish to design a language like that.

> No, you don't need to write up a DIP to counter a DIP, but
> comprehensively introducing invertible attributes _will_ need a
> DIP.  So if you (or anyone else) thinks that is needed or
> valuable, it's worth putting that DIP together.

I don't even know if that's a good idea. All I'm asking for is a
sensible argument in favor of adding an inverse of one and only
one attribute. It makes absolutely no sense to me to have
negation of nothrow but not nogc.