@trusted attribute should be replaced with @trusted blocks

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jan 16 00:09:23 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 at 23:46:11 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> You're saying that it is useful for me as a user of Phobos when
> I see that, for example, std.stdio.File.open is @trusted [1],
> right?

Speaking of libraries, as you can see many calls will go the C
library which is of course is unsafe code. The only way I can see
it is that @safe code should be able to call unsafe code by
default, for convenience.

Now there is a possibility that the programmer wants that the
code shall not call any unsafe code what so ever. Then I think
that a function attribute should be added that tells that the
code is not allowed to call any unsafe code down the line. This
is better because.

1. It is a restriction set by the programmer and not some
arbitrary promise from a third party.
2. It is absolute. The compiler can check this, either it hits
unsafe or it doesn't. It is either true or false and it cannot be
questioned.