Flutter engine based ui framework

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Jan 16 11:03:01 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 16 January 2020 at 09:35:33 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 at 12:01:05 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 08:11:49 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know, I haven't looked into it. But the repo the OP
>>> linked to did the same from JS, and Dart has a C FFI as well,
>>> so there must be a way in somehow.
>>
>> Ok, I don't know how they go about this, but there is a way to
>> add isolates dynamically through data URIs in the JITted
>> version of Dart. Never tried myself though.
>>
>> Apparently this capability is not available when using AoT
>> (seems reasonable).
>
> Nah. I think they generate some Dart glue code to help with the
> interfacing.
>
>>> The point is that we ought to be able to, otherwise the UI
>>> programming community is just replacing one silo for another.
>>
>> Yes, although it makes more sense to do all the UI stuff in
>> Dart and instead use other languages as "service providers".
>
> I am talking about leveraging the multi-platform components
> from Flutter, and move as much of the UI composition and logic
> to D.
>
> Not just Flutter really, anything. I mean, I like React, but no
> JS. I like Flutter, but no Dart. Why do all these frameworks
> get you locked into their language? Is there a technical reason?

There is, developing a programing language that takes into
account designer and IDE tooling leads to more productive
experiences.

Swift and Kotlin are also getting features that make it easier
for SwiftUI and Jetpack Composer development.

Same applies to Common Lisp, Delphi, VB, C#, Java.

Without such features, the tooling needs to be clever about
specific programming patterns, which always breaks down when the
developers decide to manually change the code.