Vote: deprecate std.xml?

Alex Burton ab at bab.com
Fri Jan 17 07:01:24 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 at 15:17:09 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 January 2020 at 16:44:03 UTC, Ernesto
> Castellotti wrote:
>>
>> I believe that removing it will only leave the std without
>> xml, I don't like the idea of ​​moving too many things out of
>> the std.
>>

> If you actively looking for a XML parsing module, you'll end up
> avoiding std.xml anyway. Last 2 times I've done this, trying to
> work with std.xml was just a loss of time, and I ended up with
> dom.d which is one of the few maintained AND practical parsing
> libraries out there.
>
> Removing it will make people more productive, you don't loose
> time evaluating it as an alternative.

I spent a couple of days removing std.xml from most of my code.

I now have incorporated a version of dxml by Jonathon M Davis. To
get it working I had to remove the use of static foreach, because
gdc 8 (packaged on distribution released late 2019) doesn't
support it.
Most of the unit tests are commented out and several other
modifications to the code were required, including to the
standard library to make it work.

It is a lot more full of range type code etc, and doesn't
allocate much. I suppose this is 'phobos standards' that std.xml
lacks.

It works well, and resulted in large performance increases.

It would be great if something like dxml was in the standard
library.