Pay as you go is really going to make a difference

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Jan 17 12:31:32 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 16 January 2020 at 17:59:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Yeah, this is another major ideological problem I have with
> this whole cloud hype. Your data doesn't belong to you anymore;
> it's sitting on the hard drives of some 3rd party whose
> interests do not necessarily coincide with yours. The
> accessibility of your mission-critical data is dependent upon
> the availability of some remote service that isn't under your
> control.  You're in trouble if the service goes down, or
> becomes unavailable for whatever reason during the critical
> times when you most need your data. You're in trouble if the
> 3rd party gets hacked and now your supposedly private data is
> out in the open.  Or there's a serious security flaw that you
> were never aware of, that has left your data that you thought
> was securely stored open to the whole world.  And worst of all,
> your data is in the hands of a 3rd party who has the power to
> do what they want with it, and their interests may not coincide
> with yours.
>
> How anyone could be comfortable with that idea is beyond me.

All valid points, but what do you suggest as an alternative?
Create your own service from scratch? Can you guarantee your
customers that your own software is secure and will not be hacked
easily? All their personal data and financial transactions. The
whole thing is just too big to roll your own. If you buy a car,
you're "locked in", but does that mean you should build your own
car? The market is about division of labor, else there wouldn't
be progress. Gone are the romantic days of yore when people where
farmers, thatchers and fishermen at the same time.