Modern convenience. Modeling power. Native efficiency.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jan 20 19:38:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 07:05:52PM +0000, IGotD- via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 20 January 2020 at 18:35:30 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 06:24:34PM +0000, Martin Tschierschke via
> > Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > > Cool. We should use this kind oft poll more often!
> >
> > I like how the current majority is the bikeshedding. :-D

> I don't even understand the analogy.

Here is the background:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality
	http://bikeshed.com/

The exact quote "Once the bikeshed is up for painting, the rainbow won't
suffice." is taken from one of Andrei's posts, where he expresses
frustration at the frequent bikeshedding that goes on here over the most
trivial of issues.  What he meant is, no matter how trivial the issue is
(what color should we paint the bikeshed, metaphorically speaking),
people will debate it to the death, so even if you paint it in rainbow
colors -- i.e., every possible color, ostensibly to satisfy everyone's
preferences -- it still won't be enough to quell the complaints.

Given how frequently this situation arises around here, it's kinda an
in-joke to use that as our official motto, the joke being that that's
what we D people like to do: argue over what color the bikeshed should
be so much that even rainbow colors won't satisfy us.

Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world. -- Carl B. Constantine