Pay as you go is really going to make a difference

Laurent Tréguier laurent.treguier.sink at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 10:01:07 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 at 23:51:23 UTC, FogD wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 at 10:51:37 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> Many languages suffer from the C lib dependency which is kind
>> of suboptimal. It is time to depreciate that dependency.
>
> A recent comparison of languages from this perspective.
>
> https://drewdevault.com/2020/01/04/Slow.html

I don't understand these numbers. When compiling on Linux x86_64
myself with DMD and LDC, I get a 900k executable and a 692k
executable, respectively. I also get different results with
GCC/Glibc (dynamic: 7.7k, static: 761k), or with the assembly
itself (760 bytes).
It's like all the sizes in the blog post are bigger somehow. How
am I getting results so wildly different from the post ? I'm a
bit puzzled