Feedback for this editorial cartoon

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 05:54:20 UTC 2020

On Monday, 27 January 2020 at 03:05:57 UTC, bauss wrote:
> Like every time I see someone reporting a bug for the compiler
> here on the forums it's always some obscure scenario that isn't
> a scenario you usually get into and often there are
> work-arounds.

The threat profile of compiler bugs is rarely "we can't move
forward with this functionally", but that's not the problem - the
problem is "we assumed this works and now our code crashes in
production and makes us look bad." And work-arounds rely on you
remembering to apply them - not every compiler bug is a crash at
compiletime. D has had more than its fair share of miscompilation
bugs.

And those obscure scenarios are usually reductions of more
complex but individually plausible projects. Of course it looks
obscure with the business case filed off.