Feedback for this editorial cartoon

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Mon Jan 27 09:00:09 UTC 2020

On Monday, 27 January 2020 at 05:54:20 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> On Monday, 27 January 2020 at 03:05:57 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> Like every time I see someone reporting a bug for the compiler
>> here on the forums it's always some obscure scenario that
>> isn't a scenario you usually get into and often there are
>> work-arounds.
>>

> The threat profile of compiler bugs is rarely "we can't move
> forward with this functionally", but that's not the problem -
> the problem is "we assumed this works and now our code crashes
> in production and makes us look bad." And work-arounds rely on
> you remembering to apply them - not every compiler bug is a
> crash at compiletime. D has had more than its fair share of
> miscompilation bugs.
>
> And those obscure scenarios are usually reductions of more
> complex but individually plausible projects. Of course it looks
> obscure with the business case filed off.

C++ has compiler bugs too, D isn't alone in that domain.

In fact GCC has more open bugs than D currently does. (According
to a quick search.)

I would say that D probably has more "critical" bugs though, so
I'll give that one.

But I do think this is still biased towards C++ and isn't being
fair on D.