Why Phobos is cool

Arun Chandrasekaran aruncxy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 03:25:45 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 at 21:40:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/30/2020 1:33 AM, Chris wrote:
>> Personally I think that the sentence was not really rude or
>> insulting but maybe polemical, so within the range of a
>> passionate and heated debate, I'd say, even in a professional
>> environment.
>
> Calling someone "spoiled" is rude and unprofessional. Period.
>

>> IMO, it's neither fair nor good style to single out one
>> sentence from a long post and dismiss the whole post because
>> you consider the sentence to be rude or unprofessional.
>
> People who want their message heard need to post in a
> professional manner. I don't care about the opinions of rude
> people. I don't care to work with them, even if they are good.
> I am hardly alone in this - pretty much nobody in the
> professional world responds to rude messages.
>

>> And since "professional demeanor" is a flexible term one can
>> always change the criteria as one sees fit (another one is
>> "unspecific" which has become a rather unspecific term too :).
>
> I recommend that anyone who has difficulties understanding what
> politeness is get a copy of Emily Post's book on business
> etiquette.
>

> Ill-mannered people find themselves shut out of all kinds of
> opportunities, and they rarely figure out why.

Well said! This is especially applicable for healthy societies
and communities.

Unrelated to this, but around a month ago I was discussing with a
friend of mine who is a psychiatrist on how common narcissism has
become these days and is being mistaken for boldness and how
leadership roles are being taken by such people and how
meritocratic communities tend to expell narcists and kakistocracy
communities tend to favor them, especially if it involves money.

If we do not point out and stand up against their wrong doings,
they would think they would think they are doing a favor. If we
do, they won't realize their mistake but would assume personal
grudge!