Why Phobos is cool

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:25:58 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 at 13:40:30 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 6/30/20 5:40 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/30/2020 1:33 AM, Chris wrote:
>>> Personally I think that the sentence was not really rude or
>>> insulting but maybe polemical, so within the range of a
>>> passionate and heated debate, I'd say, even in a professional
>>> environment.
>>
>> Calling someone "spoiled" is rude and unprofessional. Period.
>
> I disagree with this. "spoiled" is a term to mean "harmed in
> character by being treated too leniently or indulgently". In
> that sense, the OP's point (right or wrong) was that you may
> have an incorrect expectation that someone will volunteer to
> step up because you have known nothing but people volunteering
> to do projects without you having to prod people into it.
>
> In that sense, this isn't a derogatory or rude term, but
> conveys accurately what the person is trying to say. I
> personally would not take offense at someone saying I'm spoiled
> by D because it has too many awesome features. I have a hard
> time dealing with other languages because D is too good. It
> *HAS* spoiled me.

One thing to take in count, is there are a lot a foreigners in
this forum (Like myself), so one word which may sound "rude" for
a native person, may be different for a non native.

I think people may forget that during a discussion and I wonder
if a flag showing the nationality would be helpful in these
situations.

Matheus.