Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Jul 1 17:34:52 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 at 16:27:27 UTC, Yatheendra wrote:

> If dmd and its scripting-like development cycle speed stops
> being the primary entry point for newbies, it is a "pretend
> one". Until then, it doesn't seem to be a dismissible problem.
> Again, until a Pinebook or an ARM Macbook/Mini becomes a
> developer preference, there is no urgency for the "dmd
> experience on ARM".

DMD brings a lot of value with its fast compilation speed. I
don't see D losing all of its value without fast compilation,
though, and I don't see ARM taking over the developer world any
time soon. There's no reason you can't compile on a "normal"
computer in the early stages and then move over to ARM for the
final stages using LDC. I have trouble believing there will be a
lot of exclusively ARM development going on anytime soon.

Just today there was a story posted where Linus said "Over the
last 10 years or so I've been complaining about the fact that
it's really hard to find Arm hardware that is usable for a
developer," Torvalds responded. Everything about this being the
end of the D programming language is speculative if the Linux
kernel doesn't even support ARM as a first class citizen.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/30/hard_to_find_linux_maintainers_says_torvalds/