Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Wed Jul 1 17:38:12 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 at 17:00:27 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> It may not be a dismissable problem, but it's also not someone
> anyone but Walter can fix. So the question from a community
> standpoint is (allowing that we have really no control over
> this), is it worth having Walter create an entirely new backend
> instead of doing other work? I'd say no.

It's inevitable that backends using LLVM or GCC will take over.
Already today the DMD backend falls short when it comes to code
generation compared to LDC and GDC. DMD has its benefits but as
LDC and GDC progresses those benefits become less and it will not
be worth using DMD at all.

Walter may work all he wants on the DMD backend but the question
is how well spent time that is as not many people will use it. If
I would be Walter I would retire the DMD code generator and
completely migrate to LLVM and GCC. This is a project with
limited resources and that's one way to streamline the project.
About all new language projects use an external backends like GCC
or LLVM. Mention one project that has its own in the last 10
years. Now this was not the case during 90s where D was being
formed.

LDC is my default compiler and it was that from the very
beginning. I just tried out DMD a bit but never ever used for
something serious.