Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 03:07:06 UTC 2020

On 7/1/20 10:31 PM, bachmeier wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at [1] and
>> they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help them out.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>
> They have decided to go forward with a rewrite in D:
> https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70#issuecomment-652644336

This is pretty interesting and exciting news. I have been using GIMP on
and off since it was on X/Motif, and it would be crazy cool to have such
a huge project using D. I remember the switch to (and creation) of gtk,
it was itself a huge undertaking, and that was before GIMP was as
complicated as it is today.

I'll note that it looks like they have 2 different "projects", one is
just a project that has minor changes (including the name), but is still
a derivative of GIMP (what they are calling Glimpse).

The "Glimpse NX" will be "a completely new permissively-licensed image
editing program that is being written from the ground up with the D
programming language and a bespoke cross-platform UI toolkit."
(https://glimpse-editor.github.io/)

According to this: https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/69

They are going to create their own UI toolkit.

That's.... a lot of work.

-Steve