Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jul 2 10:31:08 UTC 2020

> It may not be a dismissable problem, but it's also not someone anyone but Walter
> can fix. So the question from a community standpoint is (allowing that we have
> really no control over this), is it worth having Walter create an entirely new
> backend instead of doing other work? I'd say no.

I'm pretty sure that 3/4 of the backend can be used pretty much as-is. The
optimizer, for example, is independent. The 16 bit stuff can be omitted, so can
the floating point emulator and x87 code. The rest of the structure can be kept,
just replacing the tinsel on the christmas tree. The exception handling support,
symbolic debug support, and object file support should be the same.