Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Jul 3 04:32:32 UTC 2020

On 7/2/20 5:36 AM, Mike James wrote:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/hinhcixficvfjwidaknc@forum.dlang.org
>
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at [1] and
>> they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help them out.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>
> Maybe they need to read...
>
> https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

Interesting piece. However, I think there are a few example where
complete rewrites have been successful though. Two come to mind - eggs
and hphp. Also I wonder how much of various parts of various Windows
versions have been rewrites. For example I recall Windows NT was
considered quite a different codebase from Windows 95.