Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Fri Jul 3 11:24:35 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 20:42:25 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/1/2020 8:48 AM, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 at 08:22:25 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
>> wrote:
>>

>>> A 35$ Raspberry PI supports 2x 4K display, and comes with a
>>> Debian based linux complete with GUI. You can attach a
>>> keyboard, mouse and have a little ARM machine to toy with
>>> (but no precompiled LDC, its 32bit ...)
>>
>> What do you mean by "no precompiled LDC?"
>>
>> Just `sudo apt install ldc` and you go....
>>
>> ldc2 --version
>> LDC - the LLVM D compiler (1.12.0):
>>    based on DMD v2.082.1 and LLVM 6.0.1
>>    built with LDC - the LLVM D compiler (1.12.0)
>>    Default target: armv6-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
>>    Host CPU: cortex-a72
>>    http://dlang.org - http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC
>>

> Clearly, someone needs to write a D blog article explaining how
> to get a simple D program compiled and running on the Raspberry
> Pi. Note that the D Foundation pays for articles that are
> published on the D Blog.
>
> What are you waiting for? :-)

Beside having two raspberry pi (3B+ and 4) one at home and one at
work under my control,
I just tried if LDC is available - and compiled a "Hello World".

There seams to be a repository to control the GPIO-pins for doing
some maker stuff,
(https://github.com/fgheorghe/D-Lang-Raspbian-GPIO-Module)
I only use the Pis as MediaCenter and backup target (just cron +
rsync).

But there are several posts about D on Raspberry pi in the forum,
so someone might bring up interesting use cases. (Vibe.d
webserver) The very low power consumption compared to desktops
make the pi a cheap always-run solution.

The latest PI generation (4) is available with up to 8 GB Ram and
a new 64 bit
OS is available as beta software.

The PI Foundation just renamed Raspbian to Raspberry Pi OS.
(Which still, as I understand, is based on the Debian Linux
distribution )

With 4 or 8GB memory, it can replace a desktop pc for most simple
office use cases.
The latest version has USB 3.0, so access to bigger storage is
much faster than with the older generations (3,2 and 1).