Help here: How did you get started with D.

BoraxMan rotflol2 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:19:12 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 4 July 2020 at 10:32:12 UTC, aberba wrote:

> The point of this post is to:
> 1. Know what helped you get started with D

For what it is worth, as a hobby programmer;

Mostly the dlang.org site itself, including the tour and perusing
through the documentation.  Also I referred to Ali's online D
Programming Book as well. I often find introductory tutorials too
brief and simple.

> 2. What else you think its worth mentioning

There seems to be some conflicting information online?  Perhaps
due to outdated information.

But for tutorials, examples, I find it easier to understand when
a "real life" usage for that function or language feature is
used.  Take mixins for example, rather than mixin("int b = 5;")
as an example, which is pointless, it is better to use an example
where a mixin WOULD be required and useful.

I think this helps with comprehension.  When you are trying to
grasp the concept, it just seems easier to understand it, when
you can see what problems that concept would be used to solve.
It might make the example longer, but it makes the concept
clearer and leads you faster to the "A-ha!" moment.

> 3. Things that weren't immediately obvious when you started
> using D and you probably found out the hard way.

How to properly use C++ classes in D,and what the rules and
techniques are for doing that.  In particular, what you can, and
can't do with a C++ class from D.  I was looking at using D for a
FLTK based GUI program, but found myself looking at the few scant
examples trying to figure out what I could do which would work,
and would not work.