Help to fix D-related issues in Meson build system

GoaLitiuM goalitium at dforums.mail.kapsi.fi
Wed Jul 22 06:47:42 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 10:09:23 UTC, Rogni wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 July 2020 at 16:01:35 UTC, GoaLitiuM wrote:
>>
>> I did briefly try to fix D support in Meson for a while, but
>> in the end, the lack of tracking module dependencies caused
>> too much issues during development
> it's about this bug ? (import dependency from dub if dependency
> has other dependencies)
> https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/6586

No. Meson builds every D module file separately instead of
building the whole project at once (similar to DUB's
--build-mode=singleFile switch). When a module which another
module depends on (imports) gets changed, both modules needs to
be rebuilt before linking. Meson/ninja has currently no
information about the dependency graph for situations like these
so it will only issue rebuild on the changed files only, which
will lead to bugs and crashes in some cases. The standard way of
getting this information is through Makefile deps files, but D
compilers opted for non-standard JSON format for some reason,
which is not supported pretty much anywhere.