New DIP Rules

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl dominikus at scherkl.de
Wed Jul 22 10:24:34 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 09:56:54 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 08:20:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>
>> Henceforth, when a language maintainer wants to write a DIP,
>> he will instead recruit someone to write it for him. [...]
>
> This is utterly pointless, it's still the maintainers DIP in
> all but name, the self interest in seeing it pass is still
> there 100%.

No it isn't. Because a third person may change the DIP according
to feedback and then the maintainers can decide it they like the
DIP the new way or not. I think this is a huge improvement.

> Simple fact is either Walter didn't take the time to understand
> what the community was saying / or he didn't value what they
> said.

Even there having a third person deeply involved is huge
improvement. Maybe not ideal, but the best we can get. Let's try
it before claiming that it's not worth it.