New DIP Rules

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:43:06 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 16:07:44 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> [snip]

I think it's important to recognize the difference between
something like DIP 1000 - where your points are quite fair and
involved a lot of work from Walter that few other people could do
- and DIP 1028 - where there are many people who Walter could
have assigned to do the work.

This change implies that Walter isn't going to be writing the
things like DIP 1028 that are relatively straightforward. Saves
him some time. However, I have some skepticism that Walter would
wait for a DIP to be prepared before starting work on something
as important as DIP 1000. I would expect him to plow ahead and
prepare a preview switch and solicit some feedback. Maybe the DIP
gets done, but if it doesn't and there's an implementation that
people are happy with then I wouldn't be surprised if it is just
gradually put in.