One step out of the TypeInfo stalemate

drathier forum.dlang.org at fi.fo
Sat Jul 25 19:40:25 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 at 18:28:46 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> The overriding principle is take out trickery and magic out of
> the compiler and imbue the language itself with the power to
> express such things. Ideally the compiler would be a consistent
> lowering machine to a small core language with carefully
> defined semantics. Haskell does that:

As a developer currently writing a compiler in Haskell that
outputs D code, this is something I wish D had years ago. A small
well-defined core, with the restriction that any and all new
features must be able to compile to the same core, means that
it's much much harder to add new edge-cases and gotchas to the
language.