Please be more careful when changing the language behavior

Petar Petar
Tue Jun 2 18:51:16 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 2 June 2020 at 14:50:41 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 June 2020 at 14:13:20 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
>> Instead of betas, which I think are more useful for manual
>> testing before a release, I'd recommend to set up a dimension
>> / a cron with nightly builds.
>> Github CI and the install script support them (hence so does
>> travis-ci), by using `dmd-master` / `ldc-master` and
>> `ldc-latest-ci` / `dmd-nightly`, respectively.
>
> Master is waaay too unstable IMHO. I definitely wouldn't use it
> for projects of mine, regardless how small.

If the project is already on BuildKite then nightly is actually a
pretty solid option, since upstream developers are forced to
either not break BuildKite projects, or adapt them, before
introducing a breaking change (which can even be a just a new
warning).
Even for a few of the projects that I maintain that are not on
BuildKite I have used nightly builds without much issues. I think
it mainly depends on how much one is willing to be on the
bleeding edge. Of course, projects of the scale of Weka, are a
different matter all together.