dlang.org endpoint for permanent links to DIPs

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:42:26 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 at 13:25:05 UTC, Seb wrote:
> I guess the easiest/quickest option is to add redirects to
> dlang.org.
> This can be done by adding "Redirect 301 /dips/1028
> https://github.com/.../"
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/blob/master/.htaccess

I didn't know about that file, that is very useful.
I think manually adding redirects is a great start.

> However, I think this will require quite a bit of manual
> maintenance and is easy to forget, so the best option is to
> render the Markdown into HTML automatically at the DIPs
> repository, which can then continuously be deployed to e.g.
> dips.dlang.org

It's better than the current situation where every instance of a
link to a DIP is a maintenance problem. Would it be hard to
automatically update the redirects file based on the DIP
respository?

> If someone is interested in doing this little project, it can
> be done entirely with D, e.g.
>
> https://vibed.org/api/vibe.textfilter.markdown/filterMarkdown
>
> For deployment with Netlify + D, a netlify.sh and netlify.toml
> are required. Something like this:

That sounds a bit more complicated than needed.
DDoc now supports markdown, so if they should be hosted on the
site, couldn't they simply become .dd files in the dlang.org
repository?