template statistics

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:27:36 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 at 22:21:41 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 6/3/20 5:29 PM, Stanislav Blinov wrote:

>> There's no way around writing to a FILE*? I... hope you didn't
>> mean what you wrote, all things considered ;)
>
> Well, no way around it if you want writeln to do expected
> things ;)
>
> Unless you are suggesting that Phobos completely drop support
> for interleaving printf and writeln calls? If you are, I assure
> you Walter will not accept that.

Phobos can have whatever it has. That wasn't my point.

> Not sure why you think the implementation of Phobos using C for
> I/O is not on-topic. It was you who suggested we could avoid it
> for certain calls to writeln.

Because topic is template bloat, err... statistics :) And I'm
well at fault for straying.
I was speaking figuratively. A *good* writeln need not go to C -
that was my retort to bringing up puts in 2020. Not *the*
writeln, *a* writeln. At the very least it shouldn't be the
default. My point is we should be striving for better, not that
there's anything wrong with puts or C.