Why do you continue to use D?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:59:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 9:15 PM aberba via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I personally can't use any other system programming language due
> to the expressiveness and familiarity of D. Its familiar and some
> syntactic expressiveness are just hard to get in other systems
> languages...feels easier to model code in D.
>
> I don't use D primarily for work (Node.Js due to packages and
> cloud support...web services), but D is my go-to system language.
> Personally, wished I could use D for everything.
>
> I like the community here better, I like the engagement and
> support. Yeah, it's not perfect but way better than anywhere else
> I've been.
>
> What are you?

To be honest... because I'm too far in. I suffer from extreme sunk-cost
syndrome.

I wrestle with the reality on a daily basis that D may have materially
damaged my career.
To be clear, I quite like D, although there's a bunch of weird and slightly
broken shit which gets in the way much more often than what's acceptable.
But relative to C/C++ (my professional career aseline (gamedev)), D is
comparatively so luxurious that I have developed such an extreme distaste
for C/C++ bullshit that I actually hate doing my real actual job in a lot
of practical ways.
I hate being paid good money to write terrible code, and then having my
peers and supervisors think that it's fine when it's actually terrible!!
The inevitable complexity creep predictably becomes unsustainable, and then
everyone's surprised as if nobody saw it coming 10 miles off, then we start
spending unreasonable amounts of lifetime trying to recover... and for some
reason, the business just keeps pouring money into it!
It's bizarre and insane that gamedev is populated by zealots that would
rather piss away insane amounts of money than to ask the question if
there's any better way out there.

So, my professional work is intolerable, but I can't use D
professionally... despite over a decade of effort to try and move in that
direction, and so many parts of the puzzle slowly falling into place.
Why aren't we there yet? There's always just a couple more things! And a
number of battles I fought for years and didn't win which are major issues
that haven't just gone away.
Why don't we fix them? Mostly political bullshit... mostly because I need
to convince Walter & Andrei what's important without always being able to
present concrete cases. The amount of time to make tiny maneuvers is crazy,
and opportunities in my workplace just keep passing us by... D seems to be
a hobby for most users, and few people actually really care for it to be a
commercial success, or they'd listen to those of us who want to use it
industrially for those things that are really important.

Do I keep hammering away? My tank's empty, but I don't know how or when to
admit to myself that I need to stop pushing... accept that I'm a C/C++
programmer... but then I just hate programming. What am I supposed to do?
I'm lost in a dark place :(