Why is std.math slower than the C baseline?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jun 4 17:41:06 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 05:16:04PM +0000, kinke via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 June 2020 at 17:04:54 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Would LDC consider providing float/double overloads for std.math
> > functions?  Ideally this would be merged upstream, but sometimes if
> > there's no other way to get things done...
>
> We are mostly just waiting for the *overloads* to finally make it
> upstream (e.g., blocked https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/7463), so
> that we can finally enable the commented-out LLVM intrinsics (e.g.,
> https://github.com/ldc-developers/phobos/blob/26fac3b399c62ead78bedce7ccba9290a2cbbbf3/std/math.d#L4304-L4307).
[...]

What's blocking the Phobos PR?  Actual issues, or just inertia like much
of the Phobos PR queue?  I think we should push this through somehow.
Like you said, it has been years, and prolonging this is only hurting
rather than helping things.

What do you mean the Internet isn't filled with subliminal messages? What about all those buttons marked "submit"??