Why do you continue to use D?

Avrina avrina12309412342 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 21:05:15 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 4 June 2020 at 18:05:49 UTC, welkam wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 June 2020 at 11:59:33 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> It's bizarre and insane that gamedev is populated by zealots
>> that would
>> rather piss away insane amounts of money than to ask the
>> question if
>> there's any better way out there.
>
> Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice shows how inefficient some game
> studios are at making playable content. For 30€ there is a lot
> of game in it. Compared that to other projects where 2 mil
> copies sold at 60€ is below expectation and not financially
> sustainable.

There's lots of indie games, and some solo developed games that
illustrate this. AAA games focus on the wrong things and don't
take risks because they are so expensive. It's why some games
have endless sequels, making something new is a risk. Don't get
me wrong, having a nice realistic looking game is pretty. But as
long as it has some sort of art style, you don't have to pour
millions into making it look that realistic.

>> Why don't we fix them? Mostly political bullshit... mostly
>> because I need
>> to convince Walter & Andrei what's important without always
>> being able to
>> present concrete cases.
>
> I have seen your proposals and they look like you want to fix
> your problem quickly and with least amount of work. This is
> good approach for game development but bad for language
> changes. If you make a mistake in game no big deal. But if you
> make a mistake in language design you might have to pay for
> that mistake for over a decade. Should I say string auto
> decoding...

No one knows what will be good or not. Look at DIP1028, almost
everyone thought it was a terrible idea but it almost went on
through anyways. It took a s-storm to have it be undone. A lot of
the work Manu has done has been on the practical side, you can
reason about it with rationality. And it being used in practice,
as he actually codes and isn't as worried about ideology. I think
you aren't giving Manu the acknowledgement he deserves. What he
has pushed for and got into the language has been a net gain for
me.