Why do you continue to use D?

Cogitri oss at cogitri.dev
Fri Jun 5 10:22:57 UTC 2020

On Friday, 5 June 2020 at 08:39:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> For me writing GTK+ desktop applications, I'd rather use D than
> Rust or Vala (I do not actually use Vala at all as it is just
> too niche), but the developer experience with Rust is just so
> much nicer than using D. Writing Rust code is harder than
> writing the same functionality in D

Same for me, writing in D is just so much more fun and quicker
than writing it in Rust (at least for GTK applications since the
GTK concept doesn't really map well onto Rust). Most advantages
of Rust are kind of moot when using GTK anyway since that means
refcounting all the things and trusting upon the D GC to handle
the refcounting works really well for that. I do have to admit
that I miss how infrequent SIGSEGVs are with Rust (read: somewhat
impossible unless you have bad bindings/C libs), but since I
don't have to manually manage memory in D too often it's not too
bad in D either and in return I save loads of time while coding
due to the capabilities I have in D that Rust takes away from me.
Also, static-if and static-for rocks and at least in the way I
use it doesn't cause my compilation times to easily go into the
minutes for small programs (right, Rust? :)