Why do you continue to use D?

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:41:55 UTC 2020

On Friday, 5 June 2020 at 09:08:23 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2020 at 08:39:09 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 12:44 +1000, Manu via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote: […]
>>> [...]
>>
>> For me writing GTK+ desktop applications, I'd rather use D
>> than Rust or Vala (I do not actually use Vala at all as it is
>> just too niche), but the developer experience with Rust is
>> just so much nicer than using D. Writing Rust code is harder
>> than writing the same functionality in D (except for
>> asynchronous and futures based code, where Rust just wins over
>> D hands down), but the D plugin to CLion and IntelliJ IDEA
>> isn't anywhere near the capability of the Rust plugin. Writing
>> all code with Emacs, Bash and lldb is just a terrible
>> experience, despite the wonders of Emacs.
>
> Please also have a look at Visual Studio Code and code-d
> extension. It works really nice and debugging also works great.
>
> Kind regards
> Andre

+1.  Like Andre, I really like VS Code+code-d.  Then again I
jumped to VS Code from a 70s era text editor that I originally
wrote in VAX assembly language, not a patch on CLion.  My guess
is that I was the only person in the world still using the editor
whereas CLion, according to a recent survey of Rust programmers,
is used by 1.1% of the 3997 respondents.  The same article has
VSCode in first place at 34.9%.

As I've inferred from many of Russel's postings, the tools
surrounding the language matter, a lot.  I agree completely.
It's easier for people to start using D, and continue using D,
when the tools offload the mechanical.  Hats off to the D tool
builders!