Why do you continue to use D?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 05:16:59 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 3:05 PM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 6/5/2020 5:08 PM, Manu wrote:
> > but there's open issues relating to initialisation from that change,
>
> I know about that one, but it doesn't seem a showstopper.

Initialisation and `ref` emit errors?
They're absolutely show stoppers. Values must be initialised, and code has
`ref` in it all the time.
You can't write code without those things.

> there's important opportunities with `shared` in conjunction with `scope`
> (which
> > is what I was arguing for when I was making the case for `scope` as it
> is today
> > way back in dconf2013, if you can recall those long arguments),
>
> Yes.
>

> > and we had a big
> > discussion about how to implement parallel-for (and associated
> machinery) which
> > you rejected because you found it unacceptable that a library may have
> to insert
> > fences at the appropriate places rather than the compiler doing it
> automatically
> > (redundantly) everywhere the pattern emerged.
>
> I don't recall that one.

There are uber-threads on it. But if you feel like you have time to think
about this problem space we can open it up again.

> Timon said he thought he knew how
> > to work the proposal into a form you'd find agreeable, but he hasn't
> replied to
> > me on that recently.
> > This was all discussed at length over many months. It kinda just stalled
> when I
> > fatigued. If we're ready to pick up the ball, that would be really
> valuable work.
>
> I'm not ready today, but it'd be nice if you made a text file of the
> status of
> all your initiatives with links to the discussions, so you won't have to
> keep
> retyping them.

Okay, I'll try and find some time to dig them up.
I have almost no time recently; work-from-home is hard and I work 12-14
hours a day to try and make up for lost productivity, and still falling
behind.
... and, tragically, the reason for that is mostly because we wrote this
thing in C++! I've been having a really un-fun time at work because I
failed to make a pitch for D in the ~18 months window we had, and now I
have to suffer that failure :(