Getting action on your favorite D issues

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Jun 6 10:05:16 UTC 2020

On Friday, 5 June 2020 at 20:35:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> If you've got problems using D that should be fixed:
>
> 1. File bugzilla issue for them. Issues not in bugzilla don't
> get fixed.
>
> 2. When talking about the issue, provide a link to the bugzilla
> issue so we know what you're talking about and know what the
> current status is.
>
> 3. If you have a laundry list of issues that are important to
> you, keep a list of bugzilla issue links to them. Then, when
> you are asked about what problems you're having, cut&paste that
> list.

All good and right to do of course.  But one thing that could
really help is if there was also some kind of higher-level (and
well-maintained) priority roadmap for issues.  In other words, it
needs to be easy at any given time to:

   * find the high priority issues that are being actively worked
on
     (and who is working on them)

   * find the high priority issues that need a contributor

   * see which issues are being targeted for which release

The idea here is that this should make it easy at any time for
community members to:

   * get a good overview of what is being actively worked on

   * quickly identify which issues might be most helpful to work on

   * see the priority given to issues they care about (and request
     inclusion if it looks like something is not on the roadmap
     when it should be)

Right now I don't feel that I can get a good at-a-glance overview
of what the priorities and roadmaps are for the D community.  And
indeed quite often I've found that stuff is happening that was
agreed by a relatively small number of people in discussions that
are not obviously visible to me (e.g. it wasn't agreed in an
issue, or if there _is_ an issue it just states what's to be done
without making clear _why_).  Sometimes it seems like some of
this is just deriving from Slack discussion between a relatively
small group of people.

Obviously it's fine that core developers will have internal
discussion that results in decisions and action items, but it
would be helpful if the results of that discussion were shared in
a more structured fashion that makes it easier to keep track of
both what is happening and why it's happening.