Getting action on your favorite D issues

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:46:10 UTC 2020

On Friday, 5 June 2020 at 20:35:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> If you've got problems using D that should be fixed:
>
> 1. File bugzilla issue for them. Issues not in bugzilla don't
> get fixed.
>
> 2. When talking about the issue, provide a link to the bugzilla
> issue so we know what you're talking about and know what the
> current status is.
>
> 3. If you have a laundry list of issues that are important to
> you, keep a list of bugzilla issue links to them. Then, when
> you are asked about what problems you're having, cut&paste that
> list.
>
> Bring them up now and then.
>
> It's that simple!

I'd also say just make it a habit of filing bugs! It's really
important to file bugs even if one thinks they're the only one
that could be affected by the bug. Even if a bug doesn't get a
response in a long time it does not mean it's ignored!

I've filed 697 bugs on Bugzilla so far. And while on first glance
it might seem like "wow, D sure has a lot of bugs!", I don't feel
about it that way. If you use this language for over a decade you
are sure to find some implementation bugs here and there. And
there is no goalpost where one could say "*this* is a reasonable
amount of open bugs a project should have".

If D's user base suddenly grew 10x over night we would have a lot
more bugs filed. But that's a good thing because it means those
bugs were always there, they were just undiscovered or not filed.