I just want to code in peace

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:12:01 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 6 June 2020 at 14:09:19 UTC, Avrina wrote:
> There was funding for code-d, but I don't know if anything came
> of it. I've looked at the code and it is kind of awful. I would
> have much rather DLS be funded instead.
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2018/07/13/funding-code-d/
>
> The VisualD plugin is probably the best one out there. But most
> people seem to hate Visual Studio because they need to download
> a 1-2 GB file and are developing on a computer with 1 GB of RAM.

Tell you what, I don't use Windows but I can tell with confidence
that Visual Studio is the way to go if you want a great IDE on
Windows. And VisualD is your best bet with D. If you're on
Windows, its your tool.

Clion, etc is Java based and from experience slow. Not much
better than Visual Studio Code... which is web based.

On Linux, the IDE that comes close to Visual Studio is Gnome
Builder. Its the Visual Studio of Linux. I remember someone here
developed a plug-in for D but not sure if it received further
improvement.

So to satisfy the IDE land, you want to look at solid plug-ins
for Visual Studio for windows (Mac??), and Gnome Builder for
Linux.

With that said, if you could do with a lil slow/subpar
performance with text editors, your best bet is Visual Studio
Code (code-d), Sublime (??), Vim (??), Clion (I believe there's
one),....

I personally use Visual Studio Code which is kind of slow
sometimes but its the best I've got. Code-d might not be perfect
but I can says it provides the best D experience overall.

Like someone said, D autocompletion is hard and tricky. To make
things worst, there's almost zero official backing to standardize
some of these things.

Seb is your closest best to someone (I have noticed) has
consistently invested time and energy to packaging D experience
across the board.