I just want to code in peace

Bradley Chatha bradley.chatha at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 18:31:59 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 6 June 2020 at 12:07:41 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 June 2020 at 11:29:01 UTC, ADEV wrote:
>> I want to code in peace
>>
>> I want my favorite IDE to provide great auto-completion, so i
>> can avoid stupid typos, and be more productive
>>

> It's tricky in D. Because of it's heavy use of metaprogramming
> and features like UFCS and alias this it's not always obvious
> what the autocomplete should be autocompleting.

I've wondered if the -vcg-ast switch would ever be useful to help
autocomplete things like mixins, since if I remember correctly,
doesn't it output the entire lowered-down AST, including template
instantiations?

We used to have a plugin called Mono-D for the MonoDevelop (later
Xaramin Studios) IDE, and IMO that was the best one to have
existed, since everything kind of *just worked* without any
hassle, and few bugs.

Sadly, the developer lost interest/had other matters to attend
to, and the porting process was apparently quite difficult, so it
was never updated for the newer versions of the IDE, and kind of
just died.

Meanwhile, with the likes of code-d, I often get a bug where the
second I type any character, the debug output window
**automatically**  pops up spamming me with log messages, which I
can't seem to disable so I just have to live with it there until
code-d decides to sort itself out. Also once the project grows in
size in any meaningful way, its autocomplete simply stops
working, or worse, it randomly decides when it wants to show me
anything other than the built-in stuff.

A lot of the developers here are quite old-timey, and have
otherwise become numb to the idea of having rich intelisense
(which is a hard issue to handle with D in all fairness), as well
as all the other goodies like an integrated debugger. So it tends
to fall on the wayside unfortunately.